When you eat
How many times are you eating each day? How many hours do you go each day without eating? Changing the timing of your snacks and/or meals can be the easiest and, yet, most effect way of improving your health. Throughout the world millions of women and men have a regular practice of fasting. If you are over 18 years of age, have more than 4% body fat, and are not pregnant or nursing, you can fast, too. Since you fast while you sleep, factor in that time when you are deciding what your fasting schedule will look like. For example, a 12 hour fast could be from 7pm at night until 7am the next morning. Never fast if you start to feel ill, and don't fast for longer than 24 hours without the approval of your doctor.
There is a myth that women or people with adrenal fatigue should not fast. This is simply not true. Millions and millions of women around the world fast regularly as part of their religious and cultural normalcy. In fact, according to expert Dr. Jason Fung, women tend have even better results than men when fasting. Also, fasting does not worsen adrenal fatigue or cortisol issues.
• Don't eat a meal just because it is time to eat. Eat when you are hungry.
• If you are fasting, and you become hungry, try drinking some sparkly water with lemon, some clear broth, or some green tea to see if that relieves your hunger.
• Notice if some foods make you feel hungry sooner, and if other foods help you feel full longer.
• Eat nutrient-dense foods when you eat.
• Many people will gain health if they have an 8 hour period of time each day in which they eat all of their meals.
• If you are looking for faster results, shorten your eating window.
• Change up your eating window. Let your body guide you as to how long your window needs to be.
• For fun--if you check your blood glucose, it will tell a story. When you are new to fasting, it will usually stay a bit elevated as your body is burning through its stored glucose and glycogen.
3 Square Meals
•Best approach if you have no interest in eating windows
•Eat your 3 meals when you choose, but don't snack between them.
• Whole foods with balanced amounts of healthy fats, protein and less-processed carbs will make it easier not to feel hungry between meals.
• Great way to feed the kids!
Medicated? Be Careful!
• If you are on medications, do not fast without the help of your doctor. Period.
• Dr. Jason Fung offers long-distance care for patients who are having a hard time finding a supportive local doctor to help them get their insulin levels down. Here is a link to the program: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/join/