88% of Us Have Too Much Insulin
It isn't hard to figure out if you are one of the majority of people who suffer from insulin resistance. Luckily, it also isn't hard to become more insulin sensitive.
To be clear, if you have high insulin, according to Dr. Ted Naiman, there are two pathways you can be on. 10% of people with insulin resistance have high blood sugar and tend to suffer from prediabetes, T2D, etc... The other 90% have normal blood sugar, but have high triglycerides, high blood pressure, low HDL, or a waist-to-height ratio that is greater than 0.5. This path tends to lead to hypertension, stroke, polycystic ovarian syndrome, fatty liver, cancer, sleep apnea and obesity. Cardiovascular disease is driven by high insulin, high glucose or both.
If you lower your blood sugar by eating more often, or by using medications, you are not dealing with the real issue--which is insulin resistance. Let me repeat: lowering your blood sugars without lowering your insulin levels will not make you better. That said, never get off of any medications without working with your doctor!
To attempt to permanently lose weight and/or get healthier, most people cut calories and exercise more. This is the CRaP strategy--Calorie Restriction as Primary--cleverly nicknamed by Dr. Jason Fung--and for 99.4% of people, it doesn't work. In fact, using a CRaP strategy usually results, in the long run, in weight gain as our bodies are smart enough to lower metabolism and burn less calories when calories are restricted. Although researchers figured this out in a landmark study done in 1915 (and many studies have been completed to back this up in the 100 years since that first study), this remains a super popular and very unsuccessful strategy.
Let's figure out the hormonal issues behind your problems, and get your insulin levels down! Your body is smart, capable, and is ready to get healthier. It is never too late. You can always improve your health.
Some Traits of Too Much Insulin:
• Morbid obesity
• Long term obesity
• Menopausal weight gain
• Waist expansion
• High Tryglycerides
• Low HDL
• Sticky blood
• High blood pressure
• Type 2 Diabetes
• High Fasting Glucose
• Mood issues
• Fatty liver
• Sleep Apnea
• Cognitive decline